Mecum Sells Salmon Brothers Collection to Standing Room Only Crowd.
Thousands from across the country and around the globe gathered to the Mecum Auction in North Little Rock, Ark. last Saturday to bid on nearly 140 vehicles, plus Road Art and engines spanning one hundred years of American Automotive history from the Salmon Brothers Collection. Total gross sales for the one-day special auction event were $6.95 million with a sell-through rate of 100%.
The night before the main event, Mecum and the Salmon Family hosted a private reception for registered bidders, friends, and family to preview the cars, and to celebrate the amazing collection that twin brothers Tom and Don Salmon had put together over the last 50 years. The auction began the following morning amidst a standing room only crowd, with high energy bidding on every lot from beginning to end. “I had no idea it was going to be this big of a deal,” said Don Salmon. “The Mecum folks went above and beyond all expectations of my brother and I, and we certainly hope all the new owners enjoy these cars as much as we did,” Salmon added.
The top seller of the auction was an AACA winning 1934 Cadillac Fleetwood V12 All-Weather Phaeton, one of just three ever produced. Eighteen ‘57 Chevys, and 14 Corvettes accompanied examples from nearly every major domestic manufacturer across the auction block in North Little Rock.
Mecum Salmon Brothers Collection 2012 Top 10 Vehicle Sales (all sales reflect hammer prices) were:
1. 1934 Cadillac Fleetwood V12 (S81) at $200,000
2. 1936 Cord 810 Sportsman Convertible Coupe (S79) at $135,000
3. 1959 Chevrolet Impala Convertible (S82) at $110,000
4. 1957 Chevrolet Nomad Fuelie (S76) at $100,000
5. 1931 Auburn 898 Cabriolet (S84) at $97,500
6. 1957 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible (S96) at $91,000
7. 1931 Cadillac Fleetwood Dual Cowl Phaeton (S75) $90,000
8. 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air Fuelie Convertible (S34) at $90,000
9. 1963 Chevrolet Impala Convertible (S89) at $90,000
10. 1957 Pontiac Bonneville Convertible (S73) at $90,000
Complete auction results are available to Mecum InfoNet members, which is free to join at www.Mecum.com. Mecum InfoNet members can log in to see car-by-car results by visiting the Results Page.
The summer is heating up and the Mecum train is rolling on with two auctions this weekend June 22-23, 2012 with the all-Corvette Auction during Bloomington Gold Corvettes USA at the Pheasant Run Resort and Spa in St. Charles, Ill., and in St. Paul during MSRA’s Back to the 50’s event at the Minnesota State Fairgrounds, St. Paul, Minn. To consign or pre-register to bid for one of Mecum Auctions upcoming events, visit mecum.com