In excess of one million square feet of the Indiana State Fairgrounds were covered with over 2,900 automobiles, motorcycles, Road Art, and more as Mecum Auctions celebrated the 25th Anniversary of Dana Mecum’s Original Spring Classic Auction, May 15-20, 2012, in Indianapolis, Ind.
The excitement was high on the auction floor as Mecum offered a staggering 2,984 lots during the six-day event across two auction rings. Total sales for the week-long auction were in excess of $52.6 million with nearly a 70% sell-through rate. President and CEO Dana Mecum noted, “While I had no intention of even holding a second auction 25 years ago, this auction has taken on a life of its own. I’m very pleased and proud that we’ve touched so many people for so long. The Spring Classic is the flagship event for our company, and it never ceases to amaze me just how large the auction has become.”
Throughout the 32 hour live broadcast on Discovery’s Velocity Network, a wide variety of vehicles fell under the hammer, appealing to every purse and purpose. From top-shelf muscle cars, high-end exotics, impressive pick-up trucks, sports cars, and motorcycles, there was something for everyone.
Mecum’s 2012 Original Spring Classic Top 10 Vehicle Sales (all sales reflect hammer prices) were:
1. 1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88 Convertible (S188) at $600,000
2. 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Nova (S133) at $475,000
3. 1969 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 (F330) at $400,000
4. 1933 Lincoln KB Phaeton (S132) at $375,000
5. 1967 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro (S134) at $325,000
6. 1957 Chevrolet Corvette Factory Airbox (S160) at $322,500
7. 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle LS6 Convertible (F340) at $260,000
8. 1963 Ferrari 250 Drogo Speciale (S279) at $260,000
9. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (S169) at $250,000
10. 1982 Pontiac Trans Am Funny Car (S182) at $250,000
Complete auction results are available to Mecum InfoNet members, which is free to join at www.Mecum.com. Mecum InfoNet members can log in to see car-by-car results by visiting the Results Page.
Next stop on the Mecum schedule will be in North Little Rock, Arkansas, where 140 cars from the Salmon Brothers Collection will be offered at no reserve. To consign or pre-register to bed for one of Mecum Auctions upcoming events, visit mecum.com.