Mecum Auctions made history May 16-20 as 1,671 classic and collector cars from 37 states crossed the auction block for the company’s 30th anniversary auction. With 1,219 vehicles hammering sold for a 73-percent sell-through rate, the auction became the highest-grossing Original Spring Classic auction in the event’s 30-year history as overall sales totals reached more than $54.4 million.
Enthusiasm was through the roof as buyers, sellers and spectators from around the country poured through the gates at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis to join the Mecum family in celebrating 30 years of collector-car auctions.
Classic American muscle cars and Corvettes flooded the top sales with the amazing, one-family-owned “Vault Find” ‘Vette (Lot S111) selling for $742,500. There wasn’t a dry eye in the building as the car pulled onto the block as “Taps” played and the crowd stood with hands over hearts out of respect for the car’s late original owner, a Vietnam Veteran and two-time Purple Heart honoree.
Top American sellers included a 1963 Corvette Z06/N03 (Lot T166) that brought $451,000, while a 1970 Chevelle LS6 convertible brought $423,500 (Lot S113) and a rare Pastel Blue 1970 Mustang Boss 429 (Lot S222) brought $368,500. The full dozen private collections offered at the auction were extremely well received with two from the Virginia Muscle Car Collection landing among the top 10 sales including a 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro (Lot F124) that hammered for $363,000 and a 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda that brought $324,500 (Lot F130.1). The no-reserve Bob McDorman Collection offering also did exceedingly well with the entire selection of cars and Road Art items bringing $2.9 million in hammer sales.
The top 10 sales (with 10% buyer’s premium included) at Dana Mecum’s 30th Original Spring Classic auction were:
- 1996 Porsche 911 GT2 EVO (Lot F192) at $1,595,000
- 1967 Toyota 2000GT (Lot S202) at $825,000
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 427/435 HP Coupe (Lot S111) at $742,500
- 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Z06/N03 (Lot T166) at $451,000
- 1970 Chevrolet Chevelle LS6 Convertible (Lot S113) at $423,500
- 1970 Ford Mustang Boss 429 Fastback (Lot S222) at $368,500
- 1969 Chevrolet Yenko Camaro (Lot F124) at $363,000
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 427/435 HP Convertible (Lot F113) at $341,000
- 2006 Ford GT (Lot F155) at $330,000
- 1970 Plymouth Hemi Cuda (Lot F130.1) at $324,500
Mecum’s next collector-car auction is this June 16-17 in Portland with an anticipated 600-vehicle lineup, followed by a 1,000-car offering in Denver July 20-22. For more details on upcoming auctions, to consign a vehicle or to register as a bidder, visit Mecum.com.