Over 12,000 attendees filled the auction ring as 708 vehicles crossed the block April 13-14, 2012 at The Reliant Center in Houston, Texas. Mecum offered an exceptional variety of cars during their two-day inaugural auction, achieving an incredible 80% sell-through rate with total sales exceeding $18.5 million for the weekend.
Dana Mecum, President and CEO of Mecum Auctions commented, “There has always been a perception that no collector car auction company has ever been able to have a successful auction in Houston. I am happy to report that Mecum certainly made it happen in Houston. We received a warm Texas welcome from the moment our crew set foot on the grounds until the final fall of the gavel at The Reliant Center. We certainly look forward to coming back to Houston in 2013.”
Mecum’s expansion of diverse consignments continues to grow and the Houston auction was certainly a testament to that. Muscle cars and Corvettes were both well represented, however the top two sales of the auction were a 2010 Ferrari California Spyder (Lot S105) and a 1931 Cadillac V12 Roadster (Lot S98) showcasing quality offerings of pre-war classics and late-model exotics to eager buyers
The Houston Auction Top 10 Vehicle Sales (all sales reflect hammer prices) were:
- 2010 Ferrari California Spyder (S105) at $177,500
- 1931 Cadillac V12 Roadster (S98) at $165,000
- 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha (S294) at $139,500
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette LS6 Resto Mod (S194) at $139,000
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 427/435 HP (F269) at $137,500
- 1963 Chevrolet Corvette Split Window Coupe (S181) at $132,500
- 1966 Chevrolet Corvette Coupe 427/425 HP (F197) at $130,000
- 1967 Chevrolet Corvette Convertible 427/435 HP (S243) at $119,000
- 1968 Shelby GT500 KR Fastback (S158) at $109,000
- 1969 Shelby GT500 Fastback (F201) at $105,000
Complete auction results are available to Mecum InfoNet members, which is free to join at mecum.com. Logged in members can see car-by-car sales information by visiting the results page.
The buzz and excitement continues as collectors and enthusiasts prepare for Mecum’s flagship event, Dana Mecum’s 25th Annual Original Spring Classic. Over 2,000 vehicles and thousands of items of collectible Road Art will cross the auction block May 15-20, 2012 in Indianapolis, Ind.