Walworth, WI – May 21, 2013 – The crowds were electric from start to finish at Mecum’s 26th Original Spring Classic, May 14-19, 2013, and the top sellers proved that million-dollar American muscle cars are truly alive and well.
Six days and 75 hours of auction action saw a total of 2,340 lots cross the block, including Road Art and racing memorabilia from the Grumpy Jenkins estate with preliminary total sales for the event reaching $49.2 million. 1,716 vehicles were offered of which 1,156 went to new homes achieving a 68% sell-through rate for the weeklong event. Top sale honors go to legendary one-of-one Shelby Mustang supercar, the 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake (Lot F203) selling for a record-setting $1.391 million. The most powerful Shelby GT500 ever produced now adds “most valuable Mustang” to its long list of rich history and accolades.
Those in attendance on Saturday May 18, witnessed one of the most energized crowds in the history of Mecum Auctions as the 1967 Ford Mustang “Eleanor Hero Car” used in Touchstone Pictures’ “Gone in 60 Seconds” took center stage amongst a standing-room-only crowd. In addition to the 32 hours of live broadcast, Velocity and Discovery Channel featured a live simulcast for a full hour to cover the much-anticipated sale. As expected, the car received intense bidding from start to finish until the car finally exchanged hands at an astonishing $1,070,000.
The complete top 10 sales for Dana Mecum’s 26th Original Spring Classic auction include (all individual sales reflect hammer prices with premium):
1. 1967 Shelby GT500 Super Snake (Lot F203) at $1,391,000
2. 1967 Ford Mustang Eleanor (Lot S135) at $1,070,000
3. 1967 Chevrolet Corvette 427/400 convertible (Lot F197) at $652,700
4. 1965 Mercury Comet 427 SOHC A/FX Super Cyclone (Lot S154) at $438,000
5. 1965 Shelby Cobra roadster CSX7049 (Lot S139) at $342,400
6. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 fastback (Lot F227) at $272,850
7. 1953 Chevrolet Corvette roadster (Lot S150.1) at $267,500
8. 1963 Chevrolet Corvette coupe (Lot F199) at $256,800
9. 1957 Ford Thunderbird Phase I convertible (Lot F225.1) at $246,100
10. 1969 Ford Mustang Boss 429 fastback (Lot S225.1) at $240,750